Cefixime 100mg Tablets – Cefixime is a type of medicine called an antibiotic. It is in a group of drugs called cephalosporins. This medicine helps cure different bacterial infections in both grown-ups and kids. Cefixime helps in killing the bacteria that cause the infection.
Cefixime is often given by doctors to treat the following health problems:
Urinary Tract Infections: Cefixime works well in treating simple urinary tract infections that are caused by certain types of bacteria called Escherichia coli and Proteus mirabilis.
Respiratory tract infections: Respiratory tract infections can be treated with this medication. It works against certain bacteria that cause illnesses like bronchitis, sinusitis, and pneumonia.
Ear infections: Cefixime is sometimes given to treat middle ear infections, also known as otitis media.
Gonorrhea: It treats uncomplicated gonorrhea, a sexually transmitted infection caused by Neisseria gonorrhoeae, in just one dose.
How To Use Cefixime
- Drink a full glass of water when you take the tablet or capsule. You can choose to take them with or without food. If you take them with food, it may help prevent stomach problems. Take the pill or capsule with a glass of water without breaking or biting it, unless your doctor says otherwise.
- Make sure to chew the tablet well before you swallow it. If you find it hard to chew, you can crush the tablet before you swallow it.
- Before using the medication, make sure to shake the suspension well so that the medicine is mixed evenly. Use the measuring spoon or device that comes with the medication to measure the correct amount. Take the medicine by mouth and swallow it without biting or grinding it with your teeth.
Benefits of Cefixime
Broad spectrum antibiotic: Cefixime is a strong antibiotic that can kill many different types of bacteria. This medicine can be used to treat different types of infections like those affecting the respiratory or urinary tract, as well as certain infections transmitted through sexual contact.
Easy to take: cefixime can come in different forms like a tablet, capsule, or liquid. This makes it easier to give the medicine to adults and children because it can be given in different amounts.
Effective against resistant strains: Cefixime can still work against bacteria that don’t respond to other antibiotics. It can help treat infections caused by bacteria that are resistant to drugs. However, it’s important to do a test to see which treatment is best.
Good Tolerability: Cefixime is usually well-tolerated and has mild and temporary side effects like diarrhea, nausea, or headache. Serious side effects are not common, but if they happen, you should let a healthcare professional know.
Shorter Treatment Duration: Cefixime can sometimes be given just once to treat certain infections, like uncomplicated gonorrhea, instead of needing multiple doses over a longer period of time. This could be easier for patients because it makes the treatment time shorter.
Side Effects of Cefixime
- Gastrointestinal Effects
- Allergic Reactions
- Other Side Effects
Precautions of Cefixime
- Let your doctor or pharmacist know if you have allergies to cefixime, other cephalosporin antibiotics, penicillins, or anything else. Cefixime may have non-active ingredients that can cause allergies.
- Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about your past health problems, especially if you have kidney disease or a type of intestinal disease called colitis.
- Cefixime could make live bacterial vaccines like the typhoid vaccine less effective. Make sure to tell your doctor that you are taking cefixime before getting any shots or vaccines.
- Before having surgery or dental work, make sure to tell your doctor or dentist about all the medications you are taking, including cefixime.
- When you are pregnant, you should only take cefixime if your doctor thinks it is necessary and they are watching over you. It is necessary to talk to your doctor about the good and bad things that could happen. We don’t know if cefixime goes into breast milk. If you are breastfeeding, talk to your doctor about the possible good and bad effects.